Help with GIMP please

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
queenieweenie78
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Coins : 0

PostSubject: Help with GIMP please   Mon Aug 29 2011, 22:56

Hi guys, can anybody give me advise with GIMP? I've just downloaded it and had a play. Working layers seems ridiculously difficult. I made a layer with solid fill the size of an nds screen. Then I opened another window to work on a pic I found and tried to remove it's white background, but the fuzzy selector tool (corel call it the magic wand) doesn't work that well. Then when I try to delete the white background, you can't see if it actually did it. Then I tried to find a way to import the picture onto my solid background and found that nearly impossilbe, I did it by copy and paste. But instead of giving me the picture without white background, it kept giving me the background without picture. I've tried several different things, but I'm gonna need help with that software. It's a bit complicated. Crying or Very sad

V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostSubject: Re: Help with GIMP please   Tue Aug 30 2011, 18:04

Hey Queenie, if you want to work with layers more easyly you should do this first:

1. click on the arrow that points to the left
2. choose the second option
3. click on the first and third option

If you do this you´ll get two channels (red circle) one for the tool options and one for the layers. Like this you can switch between them and work more effectively with the layers.

As to the rendering you tried, don´t use the magic wand but the path tool it´s much more acurate.

Here´s a little tutorial about it: http://www.ehow.com/how_4593155_render-image-gimp.html

And on a side note: If you´re only working on one layer and erase a part of it you should see a checkered pattern, which symbolizes transparency (1.). If not you´ll have to right-click on the name of the layer your working on in the layer channel and add an alpha channel:

queenieweenie78
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostSubject: Re: Help with GIMP please   Tue Aug 30 2011, 20:28

Thank you afro, I'll give that a go. Yeah I don't have the checker thing under the layers, I'm gonna have to add that. Thank you for your help. I'll read the tutorial aswell. Man stuff is so complicated, lol Very Happy

V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostSubject: Re: Help with GIMP please   Tue Aug 30 2011, 22:41

Hi afro,

I used the path selection tool to outline the picture now, it's much easier and accurate, thank you. But when I press delete, it still deletes the picture not the white surrounding it. I'm a bit flummoxed

Admin
Admin

Coins : 2

PostSubject: Re: Help with GIMP please   Tue Aug 30 2011, 22:50

queenieweenie78 wrote:
Hi afro,

I used the path selection tool to outline the picture now, it's much easier and accurate, thank you. But when I press delete, it still deletes the picture not the white surrounding it. I'm a bit flummoxed

Um, not sure if GIMP has this (been a while since I used it), but, since you've selected the image, and not the background you need to reverse the selection to delete the background. Photoshop has a selection tab, and there, a option which says Inverse selection. Maybe GIMP has it too Question

V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostSubject: Re: Help with GIMP please   Tue Aug 30 2011, 22:52

ooh, no. Sorry I forgot about the tutorial afro liked to. I tried it and it works perfectly. Thank you afro and thanks Gabby for explaining.

One more question. Now that I have my png. with white background gone, do I just open it up as a second layer on my plain background?

Edit: Scrap that Very Happy

I've just tried it and played about. Then saved it as a bmp. and opened that with ie9. Usually my images are really grainy on there. This is a sharp as you want. Thanks guys. I'll use GIMP more often and hopefully I won't have the clarity issues I had with corel. Fingers crossed. We'll see when I publish my first theme what it will look like on the previewer and the ds Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Help with GIMP please   

Back to top Go down

Help with GIMP please
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Nintendo Gaming Mania :: Tutorials :: Tutorials :: GIMP Tutorials-
Jump to: